Saturday, February 19, 2011

20 Feb 2011

I have noticed, as I grow older, that for me to be a great film it has to have an incredible score. One that I can listen to again and again after seeing the film and that invokes the spirit of the film.

This morning as I work I am listening to the score for How to Train Your Dragon. Yes it is technically a kids film but everytime I watch the movie I am impressed by the story and the animation.

I am a fan of all things Nordic really. My Dad is definitely descended from vikings (the Scottish ones) and my partners family are German so its interesting. Wish I knew more really.

Next time you are watching something take a moment to appreciate the score. You will be glad you did.

Got distracted slightly but anyway - I am glad that we live in a world where having scores available isn't hard. Also that so much effort goes into them. The score for Doctor Who is incredible (by far the best I have ever heard). Composed by Murray Gold, conducted by Ben Foster and played by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales it is just amazing. I honestly believe without that score the series wouldn't have been as successful as it is. Not putting down the performances by those on stage but the score adds an additional layer to the emotional resonance of what they do. Just incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment