Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 6 of 365


I am grateful that I make enough money so that once a week I can go to Pilates. In particular that I can afford one-on-one sessions.

Years ago my sister Ellen and I went to yoga together. We were having a great time but as sisters so often do we got a bit silly. If you have seen "What Women Want" starring Mel Gibson and the ever delightful Helen Hunt you may remember when he is at yoga, saluting the sun... well when we were saluting the sun I made a joke about the move and laughed so hard at my own gag that I injured my lower back. Although I couldn't stop laughing it was serious and still to this day it causes me grief.

I must admit here that I am overweight (something I will be working on in 2011) and that adds pressure to my lower back. But Pilates is doing a lot to help, both with my back injuries and as my first step into exercise.

My trainer Jo from Free Spirit Pilates (of course I am giving her business a plug, she is amazing) because its just us is able to tailor each session to focus on me. Of course that does mean no cheating. You know what I mean, when you are doing a class you can always do the easy version if it starts to hurt but when its just us Jo definitely keeps me honest.

I found the photo of Joseph Pilates here. Its on Jo's wall so felt appropriate for this post - gotta love his tighty-whitey's

No comments:

Post a Comment